Chris Mercer is the CEO of Mercer Capital, a leading independent business appraisal firm
Chris began his business valuation career in the late 1970s and has prepared, overseen, or contributed to more than a thousand valuations for purposes related to litigation, M&A, and tax, among others.
In addition, he has served on the boards of directors of several private companies and one public company.
He has extensive experience in litigation engagements including statutory fair value cases and business damages and lost profits. He is also an expert in buy-sell agreement disputes.
Designations held include Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) from the American Society of Appraisers, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) from the CFA Institute, and Accredited in Business Appraisal Review (ABAR) from the Institute of Business Appraisers.
Chris also serves as the Chairman of the Standards Subcommittee for the American Society of Appraisers.
A prolific author on valuation-related topics, Chris is also a frequent speaker on business valuation issues for national professional associations and other business and professional groups.
- Complex litigation engagements involving business damages, economic damages and lost profits
- Statutory fair value issues in numerous states
- Gift and estate tax matters
- Buy-sell agreements (as first, second or third appraiser in many appraisal processes)
- Appraisal reviews in litigation, for ESOPs and in other situations calling for independent review
- Recurring work of all types with long-standing clients and referral sources
- Assisting boards of directors with strategic value and strategic alternatives investigations
- Buy-Sell Agreements for Closely Held and Family Business Owners
- Business Valuation: An Integrated Theory (with Travis Harms)
- Quantifying Marketability Discounts (QMDM)
- Valuing Financial Institutions
- The One Percent Solution for Managing Pre-Liquid Wealth
- How to Know if Your Buy-Sell Agreement Will Work Without Triggering It
- Reconciling Marketability Discounts from Different Methods
- The Integrated Theory of Business Valuation
- Subsequent Events: Does What Happens After the Valuation Date Matter?
- Valuation Premiums and Discounts Demystified
- Seven Questions for Effective Business Transitions
- Is Your Business Ready for Sale?
- What is Value all About?
- Building Value in Business and Life