On October 13, 2011 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Z. Christopher Mercer, ASA, CFA, ABAR will address the Western Michigan Chapter of the Society of Financial Service Professionals and the Western Michigan Estate Planning Council on the topic of:
Buy-Sell Agreements: How to Know Your Client’s Agreement Will Work Without Triggering It
The event is sponsored by the Western Michigan Chapter of the Society of Financial Service Professionals, the Western Michigan Estate Planning Council, BeeneGarter, and The Salvation Army Kroc Center of Grand Rapids.
Unless a business owner’s buy-sell agreement is reviewed from a valuation perspective, he/she doesn’t know what it says. This is an often unpleasant surprise as too many find themselves caught up in unexpected and costly legal wrangles, personal turmoil, or both.
In this presentation, Chris Mercer, CEO of Mercer Capital and author of Buy-Sell Agreements for Closely Held and Family Business Owners, provides you with information from a valuation perspective that will help ensure that your client’s buy-sell, shareholder, or joint venture agreement results in a reasonable resolution and is not a ticking time bomb set to explode upon a triggering event. You will leave this presentation knowing what to do to eliminate future surprises with your client’s buy-sell agreement.
- Identify areas of concern in your client’s buy-sell agreements
- Understand formula agreements and fixed price agreements
- Learn how to “fix” out-of-date formulas or fixed prices in your agreement
- Know the differences between single appraiser process agreements and multiple appraiser process agreements
- Understand the six defining elements that must be present in every valuation process agreement
- Identify the process by which most problems can be averted for your client’s buy-sell agreement